The on-line transmission from the flight

2017-10-17 16:21:14

THE NATIONAL STADIUM AND PRASKI PORT

After the Second World War wastelands and meadows of Skaryszew became the dumping place for huge masses of rubble from the central part of the ruined city. The rubble was then formed into a bowl on which the 10th-Anniversary Stadium was constructed. Today, the old open-air stadium has been replaced by the modern National Stadium, built for Euro Finals 2012.

It is the most technologically advanced stadium in Poland. Although its shape has irreversibly dominated the landscape, it plays a vital role for large-scale sports, cultural, business, religious or political events. The stadium has become one of the marketing brands of Warsaw.

However, it is not the stadium that is the biggest attraction in the vicinity: it is Praski Port and its historic surroundings. Praski Port is situated in a an unusual place, for historic, social, cultural and, above all, geological reasons.

The port is located on the right bank of Vistula, in the area of an old olender island, formed in the estuary of the tributaries flowing from the east of the Saska Island. Before the war, the place was called the New Port and there were plans to build five basins and four jetties there, but in the end only three brick basins were constructed. They have survived until today. In the past, the port was used for cargo transport and as a winter pier. Later, the cargo business was transfered to Żerański Port.

KAMION

Near the Praski Port, on the high bluff over the Kamionkowskie Lake, the first royal election took place in 1573, during which the nobles chose Henry III of France to be the king of Poland after the last of the Jagiellons, Sigismund II Augustus, died childlessly.

The act of union, signed in Lublin in 1569, created the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The union made Warsaw a central place of the vast area between the Dnepr River in the east and Livonia, Royal Prussia and Greater Poland in the west. Naturally, it was soon officially chosen as the place where the Polish-Lithuanian Parliament would meet.

The election field in Kamion (presently the area of Zamoyski Street) plays a significant role in Polish history: the first royal election and the resolution of state-reforming acts, Articuli Henriciani and the General Confederation of Warsaw Act happened here in 1573.

Articuli Henriciani defined the basic norms for governing the state and were the first constitution of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Their name comes from the fact that King Henry III of France was the first to swear on them. Find more at: http://panorama.varsovia.pl/varsovia/index.php-frame=main&mapa=0&item=2741&top=2502.htm

The port is also located near Praga and Skaryszew, culturally rich districts, and Soho, a new trending business centre.

Soon, the port area will become the construction site. A group of luxurious skyscrapers with a condominium complex will dominate the urban landscape of Praga. It will become the new centre of Warsaw, a symbol of the new era in the development of the city. The Vistula River, Praga and the port will start a new life.

 

The remains of an old riverbed of braided Vistula are still visible in the spatial structure of Praga. Left: Saska Island. Praski Port is located in the old estuary of Vistula. Kamionkowskie Lake is what remains of the old river.

The National Stadium, situated in the moist surroundings of the river, is sometimes wrapped in the fog.

East riverbank and the election field in Kamion village. The tributary river passing by the Saska tuft became present-day Kamionkowskie Lake.

 

16:11 - Fat Kate